CBU Winter School in Information Technology
"Introduction to digital systems of control and signal processing"
Saint Petersburg, 27 January - 5 February 2011
Students are coming mainly from the universities participating in the CBU IT pilot:
- Lappeenranta University of Technology
- Petrozavodsk State University
- St. Petersburg State Polytechnical University
- St. Petersburg State University
- University of Eastern Finland
- University of Helsinki
Also students from other universities may be accepted.
The courses are suitable for Master's degree students on the 4th or 5th year of studies and for postgraduate students.
||Timetable has been updated
||Registration for the winter school is open: use the registration form. The deadline for registration is 01.12.2010.
||Names of all courses are now available
- Course 1. "Digital systems of control and signal processing" given by Prof. Evgeny I. Veremey, Senior Lecturer M.V. Sotnikova, St. Petersburg State University, Russia
- From ideas to implementation: Introductory course in innovation computing.
This course presents the main ideas and definitions of basic mathematical background for digital signal processing, some key computational methods of digital systems investigation and design and the most popular programming tools for theirs implementation in advanced computing.
The main content of the course includes the following topics:
- Mathematical Modelling.
- Methods for Discrete Systems Analysis.
- Main Approaches to Discrete Systems Synthesis.
- Introduction to Digital Filtering.
- Computer Modelling and Simulation.
- Course 2. "Computer graphics and image processing" given by Associate Prof. Ivan V. Makeev, St. Petersburg State University, Russia
- An introductory course to the fundamentals of digital image processing.
General principles and mathematical basics for computer graphics,
image processing and computer vision algorithms will be considered.
Topics expected to be covered include: color representations,
sampling and quantization, point operations, linear image filtering and
correlation, transforms and simple feature extraction and recognition tasks.
Practical examples will be presented using the MATLAB environment.
- Course 3. "Image Compression" given by Assistant Prof. Alexander Kolesnikov, University of Eastern Finland, Joensuu, Finland.
- An introductory course to the fundamentals of digital image compression. Topics expected to be covered include: Huffman, Golomb and arithmetic coding; statistical, predictive and context modeling methods; quantization; DCT and wavelet transforms. The existing image compression standards are also considered, but the emphasizes is on the compression methods in these standards rather than on the specifications details.
| ||Thu 27.01||Fri 28.01||Sat 29.01||Sun 30.01||Mon 31.01||Tue 01.02||Wed 02.02||Thu 03.02||Fri 04.02|
|9.30 - 11.05||C 1||C 1||C 1|| ||C 1||C 3||C 3||C 2||C 2|
|11.15 - 12.50||C 1||C 1||C 1|| ||C 1||C 3||C 3||C 2||C 2|
|Lunch|| || || || || || || || || |
|13.50 - 15.25||C 1||C 3||C 3|| ||C 3||C 2||C 2||C 2 |
|15.35 - 17.10||C 1||C 3||C 3|| ||C 3||C 2||C 2||C 2|| |
To register, please use the following registration form: